• Cast , Vaibhav Reddy, Harshavardhan Rane
  • BannerEndemol India,Logline Productions,Select Media Holdings
  • Editor Marthand K Venkatesh
  • Cinematography Vijay C. Kumar
  • Music
  • Producer Rajnish Khanuja, Deepak Dhar
  • Director
  • Audio release date 16 Apr 2014

Rate this movie


Anaamika review

“Not a Great Kahaani...Not a Bad Kahaani!“

Posted: 02 May 2014-07:30 AM

There is a bomb attack in Hyderabad’s people’s plaza killing hundreds of people, majority of whom are children. The home minister resigns taking moral responsibility for the attacks and Naresh replaces him as the new home minister and vows to sentence the convicts. Over the course of time the incident is forgotten. Out of the blue Anaamika (Nayanatara) arrives from America, and registers a case about her missing husband Ajay (Harshvardhan Rane). S.I. Saradhi (Vaibhav) handles the case and starts digging into the truth.

As he gets deeper into the case, all the witnesses start getting killed and there is threat to Anamika’s life. Saradhi unable to solve the case starts talking dirty to Anaamika and asks her to satisfy his desire if she wants him to find her husband. Finally the S.I. also gets killed, and Anaamika gets her hand on a Hard disk in the S.I.’s house containing critical evidence.

What is that evidence? What happens to Ajay? What is their association with the bomb attacks in People plaza? 

Nayanatara’s acting is commendable yet again. She took it as a challenge and excelled in every scene. However, Sunitha’s dubbing went overboard in certain scenes. It would have been nice had Nayanatara herself dubbed for such a pivotal role.

Vaibhav’s role is adequate and he neither excelled nor spoiled any scene. Pothuraju was alright and apart from these characters, there is limited scope for others.

Sekhar Kammula chose a remake film and wanted to show his mark in it. He made best use of Navaratri festival season and the Old City area of Hyderabad. He wrote every scene balancing the mood of Goddess Durga in each of the Navaratri day. Sekhar seemed to have thought deeply about the surroundings and wrote every scene with care. No conversations are overdone in the film. Despite being a message oriented film, it doesn’t get too preachy.

There is a backdrop of terrorism but no explicit mention of any religion. In this regard, Sekhar has to be appreciated because his main strength is to get best out of emotions and he succeeded in this film.

For people who have already watched Kahaani, the twists can be predictable. But, Sekhar re-wrote the scenes that had resemblance to the original. People would be as thrilled to watch the key scene in Anaamika just like how it was for Kahaani.

However, the pre-climax scenes were brilliantly conceived in Kahaani while in this version, the balance went little off track. It was like making knots skillfully and remove them in a manner which the audience can understand without any doubts.

But after watching Anaamika there are a heap of doubts. The main reason for it is lack of equal care in removing the knots. Compared to first half, the second half was quite gripping. The original film Kahaani made use of the kid in Lodge as well but here his character doesn’t have an important role to play.

Music by Keeravani deserves a great mention. The background score given by him can be termed as one of his recent best.  This is the real standard of the talented composer.

Photography is quite brilliant throughout the film. Art direction deserves a pat on the back. 

Despite being a remake, Sekhar proved his own style of film making with Anaamika. He used only 70% of Kahaani and remaining 30% had his own creativity. However, these changes worked well in certain places but backfired in others. You will be disappointed, if you expected it to be better than Kahaani. You will be satisfied for not spoiling the original story and will come out of theatre happy.