Jagapathi Babu, Revathi, Urmila Matondkar
- BannerS S Creations
Ram Gopal Varma
- Audio release date
Gaayam story at a glance
Durga (Jagapathi Babu) is college going guy. He falls in love with Anitha (Revathi) and they are all set to marry and settle down in life. But Durga’s brother Mohanakrishna (Charan Raj) gets brutally killed by his rival Gurunarayana (Kota Srinivas Rao) the local MLA. Durga who always keeps himself away from gangs, decides to take revenge against the culprits. He also sacrifices his love and the rest of the story is how he Durga eliminates Gurunarayana.
The movie seriously got released with zero expectations, but the movie met very good reviews. The film scored a huge hit in Jagapathi Babu’s Career and made him establish as mass hero. Made with a budget of 90 lakh Rupees, the movie completed 100 days in 4 centers.
- This is first film of Jagapathi Babu with Ram Gopal Varma. It was a huge hit in Jagapathi Babu’s career and this film also gave him mass hero image.
- Revathy paired with Jagapathi for the first time.
- Sri debuted as music director with this film.
- Rasool Ellore too debuted as Cinematographer with this film.
- Lyricist Sirivennela Seetarama Sastry made his acting debut with this film. He played the role of a journalist in this movie
- The basic plotline was taken from Mario Puzo's popular novel Godfather. Akkineni Nagarjuna starring Neti Siddhartha (1990) was already made on this book. Even then RGV made suitable changes to the script and made Gaayam.
- South Indian ace director Mani Ratnam also helped with the script of the film. Credits were also given to him.
- This is Bollywood actress Urmila’ second Tollywood film.
- Songs in this film were huge hit. Alupannadi Unda song was heard everywhere then.
- Seetarama Sastry’s Nigga Deesi Adugu song which was crooned by himself won Nandi award.
- 17 years of its release, Sequel of Gaayam was made. But the Gaayam 2 did not impress the audience.
- Before this film, RGV and Jagapathi Babu meet in Suresh Productions office. RGV watched Peddarikam movie and immediately approached him. RGV right away said that he would be working with Jagapathi.
- Except for Jagapathi’s debut film Simha Swapnam, he did not dub his voice in his next movies. For Gaayam, director RGV insisted Jagapathi to dub for himself, it came out well.
- RGV also planned the Hindi version of it and also filmed few scenes to suit for Bollywood audience. But he was not satisfied and scrapped the film.
- RGV also composed action episodes in this film inspite of roping stunt master Horseman Babu.
- Choreographer Suchitra got delayed for a song shot which was to be filmed on Urmila. Then RGV asked Urmila to compose the sequences for herself. Without any hesitation Urmila choreographed the entire song. Impressed by this work, RGV planned Rangeela with her (This was mentioned in RGV’s Blog).
- In 2007, the film was dubbed in Hindi and got released as Satya the Sarkar.
- The introduction scene in this film has been re-used in Amitabh Bachchan’s Sarkar movie as it is.
- Jagapathi Babu won the Nandi Award for Best Actor.
- Sirivennela Sitaramasastri won the Nandi Award for Best Lyricist.
- Ram Gopal Varma won the Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu.