Film analysts usually say that there are two schools of acting in Cinema. While the first style makes the actor completely involve in the character and express a gamut of emotions, the other style is more subtle with indirect approach towards the character. Let us keep aside the debate of which style is better for time being.
The name Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao needs no introduction in not only Telugu Cinema but also for the Indian Cinema. The name itself strikes a visual in a person’s mind which comprises of amazing personality, great facial expressions, a word of affection and perfect Telugu Diction. He was a person who redefined the word ‘Dialogue Delivery’ in Telugu Cinema inspiring many young actors who came later. Coming to which acting school he would belong, the analysts say with a thump that it is the first school- the school of aggression! In fact, there were situations when he involved in a role so much that his real life started having the influences of the character he adorned! He made an unforgettable mark on every field he kept his foot in- with a mesmerizing impact. That is why on the account of his birthday today, any Telugu person would remember his aggressive song “ Nene Number One!” with a smile on the face!
On the eve of the legend's birth anniversary, iQlikmovies brings you some exclusive roles portrayed by Sr.NTR where he made a difference with his own style of aggressive approach:
- “Inthavadni inthavadini ayyanu” was the first ever dialogue Sr.NTR delivered on silver screen for Manadesam which was released on 24th November 1974. This dialogue written by Senior Samudrala not only symbolizes him from his personal life, but designed his acting career in years to come etching with aggression.
The scene featured a police officer who does a lathi charge on a group of freedom agitators. The moment director L.V.Prasad said “Action!”, Sr.NTR who was acting in the role of Inspector got totally involved in his character. He started hitting the agitators in reality with such anger and aggression that L.V.Prasad had to shout “Cut!Cut!” and eventually “Stop!”. After things getting settled down, he called Sr.NTR aside and said “I asked you to just act, but not to create a violent scene! See my dear young man, this is Cinema! Not a stage drama. There is no need to over act so much!” thereby explaining the young Sr.NTR the difference between film acting and stage acting.
This doesn’t mean that Sr.NTR cannot act in subtle roles but the aggression feature is something which is strongly imbibed in his character and reflects in a pronounced manner.
- Even a veteran director like B.N.Reddy used to be terrified of Sr.NTR’s high energy and aggression on sets. During the stunt scenes of Rajamakutam from Vahini Production House, Sr.NTR used to mellow down B.N.Reddy saying he will work along with the stunt master and ask the nervous director to get some rest. Legendary actor Gummadi remembers another such incident during Chiranjeevulu, by Vinoda production house about the danger Sr.NTR faced while going towards a real running train and how the former rescued him by taking him aside.
- Sr.NTR used to show such aggression not only in stunts but also for song sequences. During the outdoor shooting of Chikkadu Dorakadu, Sr.NTR had to film a duet song along with his co-star Jayalalitha. During the film, a thorn hurt Jayalalitha who was dancing without footwear. With an intention of not cancelling the shooting because of this, she continued dancing with pain and suddenly she realized the pain has gone away after the filming. The reason for this was- Sr.NTR stamped his foot on her injured foot with such a force that the thorn came out!
- During the filming of Sardar Paparayudu, his elbow bone got fractured and for the outdoor filming of Chandasasanudu , he narrowly escaped a bullock attack.
- One can easily imagine the determination of Sr.NTR when he acted for mythological epics for which he has a special fondness. During the penance scene of Ravana in the film, he skipped meals and involved in the scene so much that he went into the character! Another legendary actor SVR himself said that Sr.NTR is the only person who can wear such heavy jewelry, costumes with such a tremendous ease.
- After his Political entry, the aggression did not leave Sr.NTR. His emotional call Raa Kadhali Raa to the people of Andhra Pradesh had a great feel of aggression. His emotional speeches filled with agony paved way for a new change in the Political arena. He was a terror to the opposition. During his regime as Chief Minister, the opposition leaders were so tensed and affected with aggression that they used to take a nap in the assembly premises during break time!
Sr.NTR is an embodiment of aggression – whether it is his acting career initially, or political career, or as a real person himself!
ALSO SEE : Qlik Here For NTR Rare Pics